How to Teach your Dog to Swim in the Pool
1. Firstly, you should leash your dog calmly. You should talk to your dog in a confident and cheerful voice and you should then casually lead them towards the pool. If they start barking then you should unleash them and then try again for another time.
2. You should encourage your dog towards the pool with your calm voice without tugging on the leash. You should reward your dog with treats and praise, each time they try to step forward.
3. At this point, the main objective for you is to get the dog to the edge of the pool. You should yourself stand at the pool’s edge and pet your dog and continue to give treats and praises. You should put your feet inside the pool and have your dog sit beside you. You should continue talking to your dog in a normal tone and use lots of treats and praises.
4. After getting in to the pool, you should now call your dog to follow you by pulling the leash gently. You should reward your dog with treats and praise for every step it takes. You should only reward your dog if it tries to move forward.
5. If you are not able to bring your dog with the above method then you should swim in the pool and then call the dog by its name and give him/her the command to swim.
6. Now you should carry your dog several meters out in to waist-deep or knee deep water. You should place one of your hands under the belly of the dog and you should hold its rear end by holding its tail gently so that it is in the level of the water. As the feet of the dog touch the surface then its feet started moving. You should now face towards the helper and then immerse the torso of the dog in the water. You will now notice that the feet of the dog are moving as soon as it reaches the surface. After the feet of the dog start moving vigorously then you should remove your hand from under its belly and you should now hold the rear end by the tail briefly to keep the dog at the level. You should encourage the dog with treats and praise when they do it successfully.