Dangerous Food for Dogs

Dangerous Food for DogsWe humans love to indulge in foods – chocolates, fresh fruits, sweets, chips, sugary drinks, coffee. Sometimes, we may also be so eager to share that profound happiness in eating with our four-legged buddy by sharing some to them. However, some people foods that we extremely love might not only be unhealthy for your dog but might also put his health in great danger. As such, knowing what foods you can and can’t share with your buddy is important in keeping him healthy and safe.

Certain fruits and nuts
You might be enjoying that creamy, healthy and tasty guacamole treat, and you might also assume that this would also be a perfect fit for your dog. However, because of a substance called persin present in avocados, dogs may experience mild to moderate stomach upset if ingested in high amount. 

Grapes and raisins, on the other hand, may cause renal failure among canines. Although yet to be backed up by studies, it is the best to let your dog stay away from such delightful fruits for them to keep safe.

A few pieces of macadamia nuts could mean life-threatening complications for your dogs. Symptoms of food poisoning because of macadamia include vomiting, increased heart rate, paralysis and muscle tremors. Although the mechanism of poisoning is yet to be discovered by scientists, your dog only needs 2g of macadamia nuts before the life-threatening symptoms manifest.

Plums, peaches, persimmons, or any fruits with pits or small seeds are considered harmful for your dogs. These seeds may obstruct your buddy’s gastrointestinal (GI) tract, making him more prone to GI inflammation. The seeds or pits of plums and peaches also contain cyanide, which is harmful for both humans and animals when ingested.

Onions and garlic
Onions and garlic in whatever form may pose dangers among dogs when taken in toxic amounts. Because onions and garlic are known to destroy haemoglobin-carrying red blood cells, these ingredients have been associated with dog anemia, a condition commonly accompanied with vomiting, lack of appetite, weakness, dullness and difficulty in breathing.

Gums, candies and certain baked products
Any stuff sweetened by xyliol, such as gums, baked products, candies and diet products can adversely affect dogs. Xylitol is an alcohol sugar known to increase the level of insulin in your dog’s body, which in turn causes a drop of glucose level in the bloodstream. Loss of coordination, lethargy, and vomiting are just some of the first signs of xylitol toxicity. If left untreated, liver failure may occur. 

Chocolates
All kinds of chocolates, including the white ones, contain theobromine, an alkaloid of the cacao plant known to be toxic for dogs. Even at a very small amount, chocolates may cause your buddy to experience tremor, vomiting, seizures, abnormal heart rate, and even death.

If you just saw that your dog has eaten chocolates, or if you believe your dog has ingested some, contact your vet as soon as possible for theobromine poisoning treatment. You should also learn about the type of chocolate he ingested, its amount, and when your dog had eaten it. With these information at hand, it will be easier for your vet to take the necessary precautions during this possibly fatal medical emergency.

Raw eggs, meats, fish
Just like humans, eating a raw food source may increase the risk of poisoning from bacteria such as E. coli and Salmonella. Raw eggs may also obstruct the absorption of vitamin B among your dogs, making him more prone to skin diseases. Meanwhile, making him eat raw fish may increase his risk of fish disease, a fatal toxicity manifested by swollen lymph nodes, vomiting, and fever.

Sugary and salty foods and drinks
Too much of anything is bad. Too much sugar or salt in your dog’s diet, for instance, may lead to diabetes, obesity, and dental disorders. Learn to limit his intake of sugar and salt to ensure that only the needed amount will be eaten, digested, and absorbed by your buddy.

Kitchen items
There are many items in the kitchen pantry shelves that are considered toxic to dogs, especially when ingested in high amounts. Spices such as nutmegs, and leavening agents such as baking powder and baking soda, for instance, are just some of the many ingredients commonly found in the kitchen that can cause toxicity among dogs. Signs of poisoning may include muscle spasms, congestive heart failure, tremors, and seizures.

Being a smart pet parent is being able to understand that humans and dogs are still different, no matter how strong their bonds are with each other. That way, you will not assume that what is delightful and safe for you will also be delightful and safe for your dogs.